Saturday, August 30, 2014

Tulsa Mini Maker Faire

Today, Kale and I hit the road with my good friends Heather and Jonathan and drove to the Mini Maker Faire in Tulsa.  Earlier this week, I kind of begged Kale to come along because I knew how much fun he would have, and I was right.

We didn't really know what to expect since none of us had ever attended a Maker Faire before, but had read a lot about the Maker Movement.  We each had some questions to ask the makers and some answers we were looking for, and I do think that for the most part, we got them.

What we saw was STEM. A lot of STEM. Other stuff, too, and I'll highlight that as we go.

First, makers can apparently be anyone who "makes" something. Some of the exhibits I was surprised to see were whittlers, homemade soap makers, printers (on all types of media), and model makers. Kale enjoyed the model trains and planes. I hoped for Luke's sake that he didn't decide he wanted to take up a new hobby.

Our first stop was at the static electricity orb. Kale wasn't too crazy about touching it, so I showed him that he had nothing to be afraid of.
We found out that curly hair isn't great at reacting to electricity...
Next, we got to do what Kale had been hoping for. He got to build. This was the favorite for both of us. What I liked about it was that we were given a task (build a two foot tower that would support the bowl, but make it as light as you can), but no directions. It was up to us to solve the problem. Kale's finished tower was 4.95 ounces.


After that, we found a booth of nice ladies that were willing to attempt to teach Kale how to knit. I don't think it will be his forte.

I hadn't thought about how skills like this could be used in the classroom before (with the exception of FACS), but I don't know why. I could definitely see a real, project based lesson in which students might need to add something like this to a finished product.

And then there were robots. Lots of robots. We saw ones that were picking up objects and one that worked under water. 
Kale works the claw to pick up objects and move them.

We saw several 3D printers. Many that were being managed by students. Kale enjoyed the fact that one booth was giving away what they had printed. He admitted as we left that he had helped himself to three plastic robots when they told him he could have a souvenir.


We made a catapult. I'm sure I'll regret that soon.


Kale had the opportunity to be a volunteer for a few science demonstrations.


And he got to design his own airplane and then launch it. (I struggled with this one - needed some directions)


We had a great day geeking out with Heather and Jonathan and were happy that they were able to come along with us. Kale has a new found love for two things now - Whataburger and K'Nex. We will definitely be keeping our eyes out for more maker events in the area.