Tuesday, October 14, 2014

What If... There was a MakerSpace in Every Classroom?

I have some great news for residents in the Springfield, MO area. Heath and Stacy Rust, a young couple I've had the pleasure of meeting and talking to over the last few months, are opening a MakerSpace in Springfield. They are currently in the development stage, but within a year, they will be open to the public. This means that anyone could pay a month by month membership to use a space designed for innovation, tinkering, creation, and problem solving, similar to how we pay for membership to a gym.

Of course, the first thing I asked when I learned about this was, "Have you been talking to the local schools so they could allow kids to use the space?" Heath and Stacy very quickly answered, "Yes!"

My excitement over this new venture is indescribable. I've been thinking about it for days. I'm excited about what it will mean for the community, for students, or for people who just have an idea and don't have the resources to see it through.

That led me to start thinking about this...

What if there was a MakerSpace in every classroom? Sure, logistics and space would be an issue. But what if it wasn't? What if my students, in any classroom they used, had access to equipment that would allow them to build and print prototypes of their ideas, test problems and solutions, break down items that were no longer used and repurpose them for something better? 

How much would a true MakerSpace enrich my classroom beyond the basic drinking straw, pipe cleaners, and rubber bands that are used for design solutions now? 

How would a MakerSpace change my instruction, and how might it change my "to do" list into a "stop doing" list? What would STEM in every subject look like?

To answer my own last question, I think that doing this would make learning real life. It would mimic the iteration that is used in many jobs today. It would prepare our kids for the new industrial revolution that they will see in their lives and careers. It would change what jobs are available, and would prepare today's students for anything, simply by emphasizing the skills of problem solving, determination, and ideation.

Although this isn't the case in classrooms (yet), we are on our way. We can still take advantage of the opportunity that exists right in front of us with a local MakerSpace. I think this will be an amazing opportunity not only for the community, but for the young students in the area. Keep an eye out for more information with the website above or on their Facebook page.