Tuesday, November 18, 2014

What Makes a Leader?


This is a little different from my typical posts, but having the opportunity to interact with various school and businesses as an educational consultant, I've had significant inspiration from various leaders and wanted to capture that in writing as I was reflecting on it.

I've been in a leadership role before, and maybe I still am, but it's different for me now. In my current role, I've had the opportunity to step back and recognize different characteristics of great leaders that I interact with, reflect on some of the good (I hope) actions I modeled as a leader, as well as some of the things I probably should have done better at.



1. Recognize the work of the team.
Recently, I have had the opportunity to work with multiple entities, administrators, and supervisors. I have heard multiple managers praise their team for significant accomplishments. Just yesterday, I heard a manager say, "They report to me, but realistically, I work for them."
The number one quality I believe a great leader possesses is giving credit to the team. They are the ones who have done the work. You just put the work in motion. A great leader knows and isn't afraid to admit that they're standing on the shoulders of giants. 

2. High expectations coupled with empathy. 
This is something that all educators can relate to. We obviously have high expectations for our students, and in leadership roles, we would have the same high expectations for our team.

Keep in mind, though, when that student is acting out, the first things an educator should be wondering might be:
Did they get enough sleep?
Are they hungry?
Is everything OK at home?

Leaders need to think the same things about adults. Although there's a possibility that your team may be sleep deprived (what adult isn't?), there's also the consideration that something is going on in their life that is affecting their ability to concentrate. Be open and understanding.

3. Empowers rather than micro-manages.
More than likely, your employees not only have college degrees, but also life experience. If they are educators, they have anywhere from 20-200 students that they are responsible for every day. They know their objectives, they know the product, student, or situation (and maybe better than you do because they're closer to it), so let them handle it. It's about trust. If you're extremely unsatisfied with the way something is handled, that opens up the opportunity to have a conversation in which together, you can develop a plan.

4. They listen with humility.
I will admit that I was guilty of having big ideas. I would read or hear about something that was effective for another, and want to immediately implement it. There is nothing wrong with that, however, going back to #3, there's a good chance that you're far enough away that you can't see the roadblocks keeping your organization from accomplishing this grand idea. A good leader will listen if the staff brings up challenges, stumbling blocks, and checkpoints that may interfere with the grand plan and will have to be handled for achievement. It doesn't mean you can't reach the end goal, it just means there are things that will have to come first. A team with a good culture can discuss this openly so the end result can still be achieved.

5. Encourages innovation and risk taking. 
As educators, we want our students to take risks, to not be afraid of being wrong, and to reiterate until it's right. The exact same thing takes place in product design, teaching, marketing, and so on and on and on. However, if the environment does not support risk taking, nothing will change. And let's face it, our world is a completely different place than it was even five years ago. Because we can't become stagnant in anything we do, we can't be fearful of the process.

After writing this, here I am again, reflecting on my experience as a leader. Have I always demonstrated all of these qualities throughout my career? Absolutely not. As the old adage goes, hindsight is 20/20. The educator in me, thinking about things I've done and things I should've done as a leader, sees that as a huge understatement. Hindsight isn't OK when we're talking about people. Instead, to many, this reflection may bring on a blanket of discouragement. An overwhelming feeling of, "I messed up."

We can only affect the future, though. Through reflection, we can only plan for today and tomorrow, not yesterday. Therefore, the advice the leader in me gives is, "fail forward."