Sunday, December 7, 2014

Fave Chrome Extension Shout Out



Maybe I'm something of a technology dinosaur, being more of a "Gen X"er than a Millenial. Maybe it's because I found work arounds from all the times I was hit by a school filter, so doing things in a complicated manner became second nature. Maybe it's the security freak inside me from serving at a district level administration role, not wanting to allow any third party to have access to another of my accounts. Whatever it is, I hang my head in shame when I say that, (I'm whispering right now) I just now, within the last few months, began using Chrome Extensions.

So now that I've admitted it, I will also admit that not using them prior to now was a huge mistake. Chrome Extensions save me so much time, and make me so much more productive. Here's a shout out to a few of my favorites.

1. Spreed. Have you ever found yourself reading a large amount of text online, only to realize that you hadn't been concentrating on it at all? So you go back and read it again. And again. Feeling like you really need to take some notes just to read your email, you begin to wonder how you might reign in the ADHD long enough to respond to your supervisor.
Spreed to the rescue. Install this extension, and anytime you highlight a block of text (it could even be an entire page), you can right click to see the option "Spreed selected text." By selecting this option, Chrome will open another small browser to allow you to speed-read. The service will (at a rate you choose), place one word in front of you at a time. I have mine set to read 350 words per minute. I can move that rate up or down as needed.

2. ShortenMe. For years, I've used URL shorteners. Bit.ly was a favorite until goo.gl came along. And then I met ShortenMe. Now, instead of copying and pasting a URL and pasting it into a shortener in another tab, I simply click on the extension. Without leaving the site, I've got a shortened goo.gl URL, AND (wait for it) a QR code! The goo.gl URL is copied to my clipboard, and if I want to grab a copy of the QR code, I either use the tools built in to my computer to screen capture or use the Snagit Extension. (See #8).

3. Delicious Bookmarks. I started using Delicious back when it was still del.ici.o.us. The routine was to keep it open in another tab, and if I found something worth bookmarking, I would copy and paste to add it to my links. (I know, a bookmarklet has been available for years. See excuse #2 for not using this earlier.) Now, when I find a site that I need to save, I click the extension, which prompts a pop-up, asking for all the information the full site does when I save. So much faster!

4. AdBlock. Ever been to one of those sites that is so riddled with ads that you can't even read the information? AdBlock to the rescue! It will automatically block all ads, regardless of the site you're on so that you can read information without the distraction of ads. I can see how this one would be very useful in schools.

5. 1-Click Timer. I got very attached to my cell phone timer when I gave limits for groups during PD sessions. But I never handled it that way in the classroom. I always gave my students a visual of how much time was left. Adults need the same thing. 1-Click Timer does a great job of providing a visual timer with an alarm that's not even annoying.

6. Similar Sites. We've all been there. We've found a site with EXACTLY the information we need, and then think, "Wow, if I could just find more sites like this, my research would be complete." Welcome to Chrome, Similar Sites. After landing on a webpage, click on this extension and it will suggest other sites that are, well, similar.

7. OneTab. You've probably learned from what I've written so far that I'm the girl with multiple tabs open, sucking all the data and bandwidth from everyone else, and even slowing down my own computer. OneTab can help with that. When you see that you've got so many tabs open that they're becoming unmanageable (or even if you've got two or three open), you can click on this extension, which will save and combine all of the sites you're on into one hyperlinked tab. This would have been very useful for me when I had multiple tabs open and then needed to put away my computer for a while. OneTab would have saved those for me so that I could have logged out of my machine properly.

8. TechSmith Snagit. Snagit will take either a full screenshot or a selection. Best part about it? It creates a folder in your Google Drive called TechSmith to store all of those screenshots. The images are transferred there automatically. Easy and time saving.

9. Print Friendly & PDF. Yes, you can go to File>Print>Save as PDF, or Print. But with this app, you click on it. Those same options are right there for you, and they're there a whole 5 seconds faster than if you do it the old fashioned way. Think of all the time you'll save!

10. Save to Google Drive. This extension will scan any site you're on, save it as a .png, and add it to your Drive. This would be so useful during research! Do be aware, though, that if the site is very long, the saved version of it will be very difficult to read.

What are your favorites? I'd love to hear more so I can add to my addiction!