Monday, November 10, 2014

Losing the Buzz Before We Get There





Recently, I read this article, titled 5 Educational Buzzwords that are Losing Their Buzz. The idea intrigued me. My initial reaction was that this would be a great resource to use with schools that are moving into the realm of "21st Century Skills" (that phrase is going to come up again very soon). But when I finished reading, I had an entirely different perspective. It resonated with me so much with me that I felt I needed to respond openly about it.

First, I have to make it understood that I don't disagree with the author. The facts and supporting information listed explaining why each of these items have shifted to the wayside makes sense. For example, numbers three and four on the list were blogs and Web 2.0 (the original author also saw the irony there). In 2007, I authored my graduate thesis on these topics. They were not a new concept then. Coupled with the fact that I think technology years are something like dog years (one human year = seven dog years), even emerging technologies from 7 years ago are now ancient. Think about the amount of technology you have deemed obsolete in seven years. So have these topics lost their buzz? Well... keep reading.

My concern is this - I live in the midwest. And when I say "midwest," I mean the area you've seen on movies and think, "Oh my gosh! That little town is so cute! They don't have a stoplight and everyone knows everyone else!" You know, one-horse-town midwest.

There are a few metropolitan areas within driving distances (50 miles to a town with a population of 164,000), but in our immediate area, think small. Really, really, small. Internet access in our areas is poor. Cellular service is spotty. However, many schools in the area are recognizing the necessity to integrate technology, and are launching this effort, regardless of the capabilities (or lack of) with the network.

So the key word there is launching. That means a focus on technology integration, 1:1 programs, "21st century skills," and "student-centered learning" is beginning. When areas of our country are moving on and students have access to very advanced programs and opportunity, some students in little, remote, rural areas are just getting started with these buzzwords that are essentially outdated. This presents a huge challenge. I believe that these buzzwords are a foundation for innovation in schools today. Because educators, just like our kids, are at every level on the ability scale, and because where I'm from, new opportunities move so much slower (and so does our network speed), we need to be prepared to utilize those buzzed-out learning opportunities.

I discussed this with a like-minded educator over the weekend. As we talked, I asked this question, "OK, so these things are outdated, but our teachers have never heard of them before. What do we do?"

I would like to hear other opinions on this, and I'll go ahead and give you mine. Just like in the classroom, we differentiate for our learners. In a 5th grade classroom that I taught, I had a range of reading levels from 1st grade to 9th grade. I figured out how to make sure everyone could find information that was appropriate for their level. When teaching adults, the same thing applies. From experience, I know that a similar range of ability is present with technology skills in both students and teachers.

Just like with our students, we have to figure out where our teachers are in technology integration. Maybe you'll use a scale like this one, one that's built around the four C's, not technology. Maybe it will be something different. Regardless, you (or a teacher you work with) may need to start using blogs to get kids to collaborate depending on skills, mindsets, and network capabilities. Some teachers are going to jump in and begin using Skype, FaceTime, or Google Hangouts to collaborate without hesitation. Our job is to differentiate, challenge, and support. That's what it's all about.

I do believe that the thoughts I'm sharing were recognized when the article I am responding to was initially written. I believe that when the author gathered his thoughts on this, it was presented as a challenge, encouraging us to move to the next level, because (we all know this), we get in our comfort zones and stay there.

So, are the following words outdated?
Student-centered
21st Century Learning Skills
Blogs
Web 2.0
ePortfolios

In my opinion, based on geography and skill level, some of them are not. That being said, should we be content with reaching these levels? No. I believe that in all we do, we need to strive to get to the next level. Whatever that might be, and whatever level we may operate on, even if it is dog-years old.